What’s not to love about perfectly roasted veggies, delicious rich tomato and harissa gravy in the theatre of the tagine? This recipe was inspired by my travels in Morocco, and it’s super easy to make back home, with or without a tagine to cook it in.
Roasted Veggie Moroccan Tagine [Vegan]
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 medium carrots, cut into quarters
- 1/2 bell pepper, cut into quarters (I used 1/4 yellow and 1/4 red for fun)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 3cm long chunks
- 1 large potato, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (for roasting)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (for sautéing)
- 4 cloves garlic, skin off, left whole
- 1/3 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped into chunks
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of tomatoes
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- fresh chopped cilantro, to serve
- Salt the eggplant to reduce the bitterness. Put a colander in your sink and place the cut eggplant into it. Sprinkle the salt over it and make sure it’s covering each piece of eggplant. After 30 minutes, rinse off the salt thoroughly and pat dry the eggplant with paper towel.
- Place all of the cut Veggies for Roasting into a big bowl and drizzle the olive oil and the dried rosemary over the top of them. Mix the veggies around so that they’re coated with the oil. Put them on a baking tray and place them in your oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Mix the tomatoes, veggie stock, harissa and rice malt syrup (or maple syrup) in a bowl and set aside for the flavors to develop.
- After the veggies have been roasting for 15 minutes, heat the olive oil in a large fry pan or tagine over a medium heat and sauté the Veggies for Sautéing for about 5-10 minutes until the garlic and onions brown slightly. Then add the chickpeas and the cumin, ground coriander and turmeric and stir through.
- Now add the other roasted veggies, and stir through.
- Add the sauce into the tagine and stir through to coat all the vegies and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes until all veggies are soft.
- Serve with cooked quinoa and fresh chopped cilantro, and enjoy the amazing flavors!