I haven’t had too many of these in my lifetime, but my wife certainly has. This re-creation got her seal of approval, and you can even hold these upside down and they won’t slip out—just like the real deal! Here we are making an Oreo-inspired flavor, but feel free to add any other mix-ins your heart desires
Dairy Queen Ice Cream Oreo Blizzard [Vegan]
- 2 cans (13.5 ounces, or 400 ml each) fullfat coconut milk (chilled)
- 2/3 cup (230 g) agave
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 4–5 chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos or Newman-Os, or more to taste
- Chill the coconut milk on the top shelf of the refrigerator overnight. Only use the cream from the coconut milk, reserving the water for a smoothie or something else. Then, add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend just until combined. Use a tamper if needed, but be careful not to over blend, which can cause the cream to curdle and separate. Chill in a freezer-proof container overnight. Let the ice cream thaw until slightly softened. While the ice cream thaws, add the bowl from a stand mixer to the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Crush the cookies either in a food processor or by adding them to a zip-top bag and crushing with a rolling pin.
- Once the ice cream has partially thawed and the bowl is cold, add the ice cream to the bowl. Mix on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy. Gently fold in the crushed cookies. Serve immediately!
You can also use a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer, but don’t use a high speed-blender as this will obliterate the cookies and ruin the texture (at least in my humble opinion!).