These carrots are seasoned with a dry rub of paprika, cinnamon, curry powder, garlic, and dry parsley just before they go into the oven and then roasted until they begin to caramelize. They're slightly crisp and sweet on the outside and tender with just the right amount of bite on the inside. These can be served as part of a larger platter of roasted vegetables and grains for a simple meal that's flavorful and filling.
Curry Spiced Carrots [Vegan]
- 1 pound whole carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder, or more to taste
- 2 or more tablespoons water
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Carrot greens, walnuts, and vegan yogurt, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
- In a small dish, make the rub by combining paprika, cinnamon, garlic, and parsley.
- Next, snip the greens or stem on the carrots leaving a 1/2-inch or so left of the stem intact on the carrots. With a vegetable scrubber, under water, scrub the carrots well removing any dirt or 'hairs' off. Do not peel unless you feel you need to, it will not come out the same way.
- Pat carrots dry and toss with the olive oil to coat well all over. Then, sprinkle the rub all over and work it onto the carrots. Completely cover the carrots with the dry rub and place each carrot on the baking sheet. You can add sea salt and pepper over top.
- Roast carrots for approximately 20 minutes on one side, and then flip over for another 10-15 minutes until you see the exteriors are brown and nearly caramelized. You should be able to stick with a fork to find a soft and tender interior.
- In the meantime, make the curry-tahini sauce by whisking together the tahini, 2 or more tablespoons of water and the curry powder. You want a saucy consistency so you can add more water if needed.
- Place finished carrots on a serving dish and drizzle curry tahini sauce over top, optionally garnish with the carrot greens or parsley and serve with a dollop of vegan yogurt.