Curry Coconut Popcorn is an exciting way to spice up your popcorn. The popcorn is cooked in coconut oil which gives it a sweetness that really complements the spicy curry. Not all curries are created equal, so you can play around with using a mild curry for a sweeter treat or a spicy curry for something with a kick.
Curry Coconut Popcorn [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup unpopped organic popcorn kernels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Pour coconut oil into a large heavy bottomed pot with a lid and heat to medium high heat.
- Add three popcorn kernels and cover with the lid slightly ajar.
- When the kernels start to pop, add the remaining popcorn kernels spread them out so they are in a single layer.
- Put the lid back on the pot slightly ajar and gently shake the pot to prevent the popcorn from burning.
- Once the popping slows down and most of the popcorn has popped, turn off the heat and shake for a couple more seconds to pop any stragglers.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle with the sea salt and give it a shake.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the curry powder and toss until coated. It is important not to add the curry powder to the popcorn while it is still in the pot because it can cause the curry powder to burn.
You can also use an air popper to make this we well. Simply place the popped popcorn, melted coconut oil, salt and curry in a large bag or bowl with a lid and shake it up.