Creamy and filled with roasted vegetables with a light curry flavor, this soup is a quick, simple meal for a light lunch or dinner. It’s the perfect healthy way to warm up on a cold fall day!
Curried Roasted Carrot and Cauliflower Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups Carrots
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (half of one medium)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or other oil)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth, no added salt
- 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Chop your carrots and cauliflower into bite-sized pieces and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 25 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Place the onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the curry, cumin, and salt and cook for an additional minute, then add the broth and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
- When the vegetables are done roasting, transfer to a blender, along with the content of the saucepan and 1 cup of coconut milk. Blend until smooth. Alternatively, transfer the vegetables to the saucepan along with the other ingredients and coconut milk. Bend everything together using an immersion blender.
- Bring the mixture back to the saucepan (if using the blender). Cook a few more minutes until heated through.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
Top with roasted chickpeas or pumpkin seeds for added protein.