The soup is simple and spicy! The addition of garam masala will change the hue a bit, but the flavor will still be delicious!
Curried Red Kuri Squash Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free]
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon balti curry powder (see note)
- 1 red kuri squash, skin removed, chopped in 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes (9 cups chopped)
- 2 apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- Add 2-3 tablespoons water, onion and garlic to a big pot and place over medium heat. Cook until the onions get translucent.
- Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the apples, squash, broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- If using a regular blender, let cool a little before processing.
Balti curry powder has coriander (and not turmeric) as the first ingredient. As such, it will tend to be greener and not orange like garam masala