This delicious salad will tantalize your tastebuds with the delicious warm smell of curry, that is sure to impress with one bite! This doesn’t cook forever in the oven (it spends no time at all in the oven) – in fact, you can have it on the table within a half hour or so. But that warm curry essence is in there. The veggies here are just a suggestion, of course. Use what you love.
Curried Couscous and Vegetable Salad [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. mild curry powder
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- ~ 2 cups water
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 2 tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 tbsp. vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- juice of half a lemon
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened coconut milk yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender and process until nice and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and stir in the curry powder. Cook for about 30 seconds and then stir in the couscous, coating it with the olive oil-curry powder mixture. Slowly pour in the water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and let cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and let the couscous absorb the liquid. It’ll be kind of a nice, thick saucy mixture. This is good. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cherries, onion, zucchini, bell pepper, parsley, mint and tomatoes. Add a dash of salt and pepper. When the couscous is mostly cool, add it to the vegetables. Stir in the salad dressing. Serve at room temperature.
Dressing adapted from The Veg Bar’s Oil-Free Lemon Basil Dressing.