Cucumber kimchi is a super simple condiment that adds all of the spice and tang of kimchi but only takes about 20 minutes to make – no fermenting necessary! It's all a matter of taking the water out of the cucumber slices and replacing it with flavor. Once you've accomplished this, can treat it just like any other kimchi and take a nibble whenever you need to refresh your palate or you could use these like pickles, adding them to veggie burgers or "pulled pork" sandwiches. Yum!
Cucumber Kimchi [Vegan]
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (optional)
- Slice cucumber into thin round discs.
- Sprinkle coarse sea salt over cucumbers and let sit for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Thoroughly wring all water from cucumbers by squeezing the slices between two hands.
- Rinse under cold water 5-6 times to remove salt.
- Mix together kimchi seasoning and combine with cucumbers.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped scallions for garnish. Serve cold.
Keep kimchi refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Total Calories: 98 | Total Carbs: 19 g | Total Fat: 1 g | Total Protein: 5 g | Total Sodium: 966 g | Total Sugar: 12 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile