Have you ever thought to yourself, "Man, lasagna would be so perfect if it was just a bit more dip-able?" Well, then you're in luck! This recipe takes the magic that is lasagna and places it neatly inside crispy wontons for a perfectly portioned, delicious take on a classic Italian entree. These are great for a family friendly meal or even a fun appetizer for a gathering. And the best part? They're totally plant-based!
Crispy Lasagna Pockets [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Crispy Lasagna Pockets [Vegan]
- 48 vegan wonton or gyoza wrappers (use rice paper for gluten free option- see note)
- ¾ cup finely chopped spinach
- ¾ cup finely chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup red sauce (store bought or homemade)
- ¼ cup Cashew Walnut Cream Sauce
- Small cup of water to moisten wrappers
- More red sauce for dipping when served Cashew Walnut Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked
- 1/2 cup water (from soaking nuts, plus more for desired consistency)
- Himalayan pink salt and ground black pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Crispy Lasagna Pockets [Vegan]
- Soak the nuts for at least two hours in a bowl of water, make sure the water covers them completely since they puff up while soaking.
- Put nuts and about ½ cup of the soaking water in a blender, food processor or high speed blender with the salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy, add more salt/pepper to get to desired taste. Also add more water to get to desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit. Make the red sauce if needed. Wash and chop the veggies.
- Place one wrapper on your workspace. Brush with water, moistening well around the edges. Using an appetizer sized spoon, place one spoonful of red sauce in the center of the wrapper. Top with about one tablespoon of chopped spinach, then the same amount of chopped mushrooms. Finish by dropping one small spoonful of cream sauce on top. The wrappers will puff up a bit and create more space inside so don’t worry about them being too full.
- Place a second wrapper on top of the first and use a fork to press down the edges. If they aren’t sticking well, use more water to moisten them. Repeat the process until all your wrappers are used.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Brush each with water to moisten.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes or until browned around the edges. If you don’t want them too crispy, sprinkle some water on the pan, cover with foil, and bake. Serve with more red sauce for dipping!
I was only able to find vegan wrappers online or at a specialty Asian market. Most at the grocery store have eggs. To make these gluten free use rice paper. You can use them whole to make large ones, or cut them into smaller strips for smaller ones (do this while paper is dry). You need to soak the rice paper in water for 3-5 seconds before using, then place lasagna filling in the center, fold in sides and bottom, then roll like you would an egg roll. Now follow recipe and brush with water and bake, however baking time may vary. Bake until golden brown on top.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.