The World's Greatest Sandwich isn't a term that should be thrown around lightly. But, these crispy sweet potato burger patties might make the cut. They look like fast food patties on the outside, but on the inside, they're soft and tender. Made from rice and sweet potato and coated in herbed breadcrumbs, then fried until crispy, they'll satisfy all your crunchy sandwich cravings. Top with traditional fare like pickles, lettuce, and ketchup or get creative with your own toppings. Ready to see if The World's Greatest Sandwich has been discovered? Try this sweet potato burger –– it’s phenomenal.
Crispy Sweet Potato Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of dry rice
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs or regular bread crumbs with Italian/poultry seasoning added
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Burger buns
- Condiments of your choice
- Chop and boil 1 large sweet potato. Peeling is optional. Boil until soft, about 20 minutes, then drain.
- Cook 1/2 cup dry rice with 1 cup water. 20 minutes for white rice and 40 minutes for brown rice.
- Mash potatoes and rice together. Add in 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs and mix in completely. You may need a dash of salt. Let mixture cool so that you can handle them without a problem.
- Split mixture into 4 and form patties. Push each patty onto a plate of Italian bread crumbs, both side, and set aside.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet and heat over medium heat. Once the skillet is nice and hot cook as many patties as you can fit. Flip after a few minutes and make the other side crispy. Assemble the sandwich and serve.
- Sweet Potato