Crispy corn tortillas surround a soft, perfectly-seasoned black bean filling. These tacos are super easy to make and taste even better with a drizzle of avocado cream sauce.
Crispy Black Bean Tacos [Vegan]
For the Tacos:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/2 - 1 cup Grated vegan cheese optional
For the Tortillas:
- 8 corn tortillas
- For dipping optional
- Avocado cream sauce
- Mexican crema
For the Filling:
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low. Add in the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until turning translucent. Add in the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season with cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to taste, then remove from heat. Add the cooked black beans to a large mixing bowl and roughly mash them. Stir in the onion mixture and combine well.
For the Tacos:
- Once the filling is mixed together, add about ½ - 1 more tbsp of oil into the skillet and turn it to medium heat. Add 1-2 corn tortillas in a single layer and cook on the first side for about 10 seconds (the amount of tortillas you can cook at a time will depend on your pan).
- Then, scoop about 3-4 tbsp of bean mixture onto one half of each tortilla. You can also add some grated vegan cheese on top if you want.
- Using a spatula, fold the tortillas in half and press down to shape the tacos. Cook on each side until golden brown, about 1-3 minutes.
- Continue cooking the tacos following this process until all the bean mixture is gone. Make sure to top up the oil as your pan dries out.
- Serve these black bean tacos warm with a side of vegan avocado cream sauce or Mexican crema. Happy eating!