This colorful and veggie-centric bowl is the perfect, healthy comfort food! Sweet potatoes are spiralized into tender, vibrant noodles then tossed in a creamy, savory sauce made from coconut milk, soy sauce, and Sriracha and finally served with a side of crispy kale. Garlic-ginger tempeh is also added for protein and since it's fermented, it has probiotics to keep your tummy happy!
Creamy Sweet Potato Noodles With Ginger Tempeh [Vegan]
For the Ginger Tempeh:
- 1 8-ounce package of tempeh
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
For the Crispy Kale:
- 4 leaves of kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Sweet Potato Noodles:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for pan-frying
- 1/4 cup water
- Fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Lime, for garnish (optional)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Mix your minced garlic, maple syrup, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl. Add your block of tempeh and allow to marinade for 2-4 hours, flipping half-way through so each side can soak up the marinade.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Rinse the kale and pat completely dry.
- Drizzle with olive oil and massage with your hands until evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place your kale in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until crispy. Depending on your oven, you may want to keep an eye as it can crisp up pretty quickly.
- Next using a spiralizer, spiralize your sweet potato noodles and set aside.
- To prepare the creamy sauce, mix the coconut milk, maple syrup, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Sriracha in a small saucepan on medium-high heat. Allow to boil down for 2-3 minutes so the sauce thickens.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Cut your tempeh into triangles or cubes and add to the pan, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side on medium heat. Remove from pan.
- Add another tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan and add your sweet potato noodles, tossing regularly for 2-3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water to deglaze the pan and cook noodles for another 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- Pour in your creamy sauce, stir, and remove from heat.
- Assemble your bowl with sweet potato noodles, garlic tempeh, and crispy kale on top. Garnish with fresh herbs, lime, and sesame seeds if desired.