This recipe for black beans is inspired by the classic Indian black lentil recipe called Dal Makhani. This recipe uses black beans instead and is specifically developed for a slow cooker, where it happily cooks into slow-cooked perfection. If you don't have a slow cooker, you can cook this dish on a stovetop – still delicious!
Creamy Indian Black Beans [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Creamy Indian Black Beans [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups of dried black beans
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 4 tomatoes, diced or 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 3 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Diced or sliced red onions, for serving
How To Make Creamy Indian Black Beans [Vegan]
- Place the black beans in plenty of water and soak for 2-3 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- If your slow cooker has a sauté function, turn it on and add the olive oil. Alternatively, you can do this in a skillet over the stove.
- Add in the onions and cook for about five minutes, add in the ginger and the garlic, and sauté until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add in the cumin, coriander, salt, and red cayenne pepper and cook for a minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook for two more minutes. If using a skillet, move the mixture to the slow cooker. Once the tomatoes are soft and pulpy, add this mixture to the slow cooker, add in the black beans with 3 cups of water and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the cover, stir in the fenugreek leaves, vegan sour cream, and cilantro and serve.
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
I made a few modifications, but it still turned out tasty. I\’\’ll be using this recipe again.