Looking for something comforting and filling? This recipe is that and even better. This recipe is packed with flavor and is simply delicious!
Creamy Curry Mac [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 16 ounces (454 g) elbow macaroni, or other small pasta
- 2 cups (260 g) frozen peas
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) neutral vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (55 g) minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) garam masala
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14.5-ounce, or 410 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup (47 g) unsalted raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, drained
- 2 tablespoons (7.5 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 (13-ounce, or 385 ml) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (2 g) minced fresh cilantro
For the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Add the peas to the pasta. Drain the pasta and peas well and set aside..
For the sauce:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the garam masala, ginger, coriander, salt, black pepper, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juice and the cashews. Bring the mixture just to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Cool slightly, then carefully transfer to a high-speed blender. Add the nutritional yeast and coconut milk and blend until smooth. Return the sauce to the saucepan over low heat.
- Add the macaroni and peas and cook, stirring, for a few minutes to mix well and heat through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed Transfer to a large casserole dish and serve garnished with cilantro.