This creamy tomato soup is smoky, spicy, and savory. Almonds make it creamy while chipotle pepper brings the heat. The spiciness can be adjusted by adding more or less of the chile pepper. Serve this soup with sliced avocado and baked tortilla chips.
Creamy Chipotle Tomato Soup With Avocado [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo
- Sliced avocado, topping
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil and onion over medium heat. When the onions are translucent, add the garlic and salt.
- Do not let the onions or garlic brown, but allow them to soften while cooking. Leave them in the pot, stirring constantly, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the oregano and almonds and leave for 2-3 minutes, until the oregano is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce heat, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender or food processor and add the chipotle pepper.
- Blend until smooth. Start slow and move to a higher speed for a creamier soup. Top with sliced avocado and cracked black pepper.