Buckwheat is actually a seed not a member of the wheat family, which makes this grain gluten-free. Buckwheat seeds are very rich source of soluble and insoluble dietary fiber that promote better colon and kidney health.
Creamy Buckwheat Porridge With Cherry Currant Jam [Vegan]
- 1 cup buckwheat, soaked overnight
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch himalayan pink salt
Chia Cherry Currant Jam
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 cup fresh red currants
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- In a large bowl, place the raw buckwheat groats, cover with water and a squeeze of lemon juice. Soak overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse the buckwheat well.
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the buckwheat groats and cook until soft, about 10 minutes on medium high heat. Reduce heat to low, add the almond milk, then simmer for another 5-10 minutes. If the buckwheat absorbs all the liquid, add more water until tender.
- Transfer to a high-speed blender and puree until creamy. Quickly pour into your bowl, top with heaping serving of the raw jam and top with berries, a sprinkling of hemp seeds and cacao nibs, if desired. Note: When cooked, buckwheat becomes sticky and gelatinous, so you may find this solidifies as it cools. Top it with a little extra almond milk, give it a good stir and enjoy while warm!
- For the jam: Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender, puree until smooth. Store in a jar in your fridge until ready to use.