Chinese south almonds have a distinct, earthy aroma and sweetness that is perfect for dessert. In this recipe, they are blended with almond milk and agar agar to create a soft and simple almond pudding. The bright, white color of this pudding is an excellent canvas to get creative. Adorn it with chocolate sauce, caramel, edible flowers, or (as done in this recipe) with raspberries and crushed pistachio nuts.
Creamy Almond Pudding [Vegan]
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk plus extra 1/4 cup
- 1 cup Chinese almonds or blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons agar agar powder (1 1/2 if you want a softer texture)
- 3/4 cup pistachio nuts, shelled
- 2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Blend the almond milk and almonds in a Nutribullet or food processor until you get a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Combine and whisk the 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk with the agar-agar powder.
- Add the almond mixture and agar-agar mixture into a small pot and add in the agave sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat. Stir until the agar agar and agave nectar have melted. Turn off the heat.
- Press the boiled pudding mixture through a fine sieve or strainer into a large bowl to remove any residual solid almond pieces.
- Pour the mixture into mini non-stick pudding moulds or any small bowls.
- Chill in the refrigerator until the almond pudding has set. Roughly 1-2 hours.
- Once set, remove the pudding from the mould by running a thin smooth edged plastic knife or any small knife, around the sides of the mould.
- Coarsely ground the pistachio nuts in a food processor or roughly chopped.
- Serve the puddings with the ground pistachio nuts and raspberries.