This delicious cornbread is super fluffy, crumbly, and moist! It’s also not overly sweet, but just enough to satisfy a sweet craving and goes perfectly with savory dishes.
Cornbread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup polenta or medium ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup plain non-dairy or organic yogurt
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- To make the flax eggs: mix the ground flax seeds with water, stir, and let it sit for 10 minutes or longer to thicken.
- Add the first 4 ingredients to a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the flax eggs and remaining ingredients. Stir gently to evenly combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and let the batter rest in the meantime to absorb more of the moisture.
- Grease an 8-inch cast iron skillet or baking dish with a bit of coconut oil and pour in the mixture. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
- Store covered at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.