Who says candy can't be healthy? This recreation of the popular Payday candy bar replaces processed caramel with sticky Medjool dates, vanilla extract, and cashew butter uses lightly salted peanuts, and throws some flax seeds into the mix, just for good measure. This copycat has all of the delicious salty-sweet flavor of the original candy bar but is much better for you. Win!
Copycat Payday [Vegan]
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw cashew butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2-pound bag of lightly-salted, roasted peanuts
- Place all ingredients, except the water and the peanuts into a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the water, a bit at a time, until you have a thick paste that sticks together well and isn’t too wet. This will be your center.
- Refrigerate for a few hours. It’s easier to handle when cool.
- Portion the “dough” and shape into candy bar-sized logs, about 3 tablespoons per bar.
- Press peanut halves into the logs all the way around, and shape into bars.
Refrigerate in a sealed container.