This quick& easy Vegan Congee (Rice Porridge/Jook) is so good, you will want to have it every day. Simply dump all the ingredients in one pot, boiling for 20 minutes with no stir!!
Ingredients You Need for Congee [Vegan]
For the Congee:
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1 stick celery (5" long) finely chopped
- 2 oz Green Cabbage (70 gram) finely chopped
For the Broth:
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth(low-sodium)
- 4 Cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Kombu Tsuyu( Kombu Soup Base)
- 1/4 Cup Crispy Fried Onions
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground White Pepper
For the Toppings:
- 1 tablespoon Crispy Fried Onion
- 1 tablespoon Scallion( Spring Onion/ Green Onion) thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes(optional)
How to Prepare Congee [Vegan]
- Grab a heavy-based deep saucepan( or a deep enough pot), add Vegetable Broth, Water, Kombu Tsuyu, Crispy Fried Onion, Finely Chopped Celery, Cabbage and Ground White Pepper.
- Wash the rice at least three times and drain, then add the rice into the saucepan.
- Put the lid on, turn on the gas on medium-high heat, set up a timer for 20 minutes. Let it gentle boil/soft boil, not vigorous, bubbling boil. (Note4)
- After 20 minutes, open the lid, use a ladle quick stir then serve. Topped with crispy fried onion, thinly sliced scallion, and red chili flakes(optional). Or other toppings.
- Rice– White rice only. It’s better to use medium or short grain type of rice for congee, most of the time I use Jasmine Rice (when I don’t have broken rice)and Broken Rice. When using broken rice, you need to add a bit more water( broken rice is rice grains that were broken in the milling process, and sorted out. It has a different, softer texture from “unbroken” rice, and absorbs flavors more easily. It cooks much faster.) P.S. Don’t use Basmati or long grain rice, they just taste not right in congee.
- Kombu Tsuyu( Kombu Soup base)– I use this soup base a lot when I need an instant soup, noodles soup, or congee. Kombu Tsuyu is a concentrated soup based made from kombu and soy sauce. The flavor is rich, tangy, sea-like saltness, with a depth of sweetness. It has loads of health benefits, as well as great taste.
- Crispy Fried Onion– Crispy fried onion is usually found in the condiments section or aisle of Asian grocery stores or supermarkets. They are usually made from Red onions or French shallots. It has a satisfying crunch and a sweet and oniony, salty taste.
- Vegetable Broth +Water– Pick a neutral-flavoured Vegetable broth with low-sodium as we gonna add more seasonings to it. Or, if you have time, why not make your own?
- Celery+Cabbage+Scallion(Spring Onion)– Finely chopped celery( you can peel celery skin to get rid of the fibrous skin), Cabbage, and Scallion( Green Onion/Spring Onion.) Surprisingly, these three vegetables go so well in vegan congee!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 436mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 336IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mgNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.