This recipe is uncomplicated and if you're a spice lover, you're probably already sitting on a most of these. All you need for this soup are sweet potatoes, coconut milk, onion, broth, spices and cilantro.
Coconut Cilantro Sweet Potato Soup [Vegan]
- 4 large sweet potatoes cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth of your choice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- optional: top with sliced almonds
- Preheat soup pan on medium heat. Add coconut oil, onion and 1/4 tsp salt. Sauté until onion is translucent - about 8 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, garam masala, coriander, ginger, turmeric, cumin, remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Next reduce heat to low and cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Once sweet potatoes are soft, add coconut milk and chopped cilantro. Let cool for a few minutes before adding to food processor.
- Once pureed, you can serve with additional cilantro and almond slices.