This coconut caramel panna cotta is the perfect balance of sweet and salty. The base is a combination of coconut and date caramel which is then topped with a chocolatey nut crumble and drizzled with more caramel. Silky, sweet, nutty.
Coconut Caramel Panna Cotta [Vegan]
For the Panna Cotta:
- 1 13.66-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons powdered agar
For the Raw Date Caramel:
- 5 dates, soaked
- 1 tablespoon mesquite powder
- 1 teaspoon lucuma powder
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Cookie Crumble:
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- A splash of maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Panna Cotta:
- Empty the can of coconut milk into a small saucepan, heat it gently until it begins to steam.
- Whisk in the maple syrup.
- Continue whisking as you add the agar, it may form lumps at first but with continual whisking they will break.
- Allow the mixture to thicken up on the stove, whisking gently on and off for five minutes.
- Transfer to small ramekins if you are wanting to invert them onto a plate, alternatively you can pour into wine or martini glasses and serve like that.
- Allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- If using ramekins and inverting the panna cotta onto a plate, gently run the edge of a sharp knife around the custard to loosen it.
- Invert and give it a little shake, it should pop right out in perfect form.
To Make the Date Caramel:
- Add the dates, mesquite, lucuma, salt, and about 3-4 tablespoons of the date soaking liquid to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
To Make the Cookie Crumble:
- Add the walnuts, cacao powder, maple syrup, and salt to a food processor and pulse until it forms a rough but slightly sticky crumb.