Cinnamon buns are such a classic dessert and can even be had for breakfast. They are sweet, soft and filling!
Cinnamon Buns [Vegan]
For the dough
- 1 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub with cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup plant-based butter
- 2 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups pizza flour
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2/3 cup plant-based butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- Heat up the oat milk, sugar and butter in a pan. Don’t boil it, just make sure the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved and set aside.
- Mix the dry yeast with both the pizza flour and all purpose flour and add cinnamon and salt.
- Mix the liquid and flour together and kneed the dough for 5 minutes to get some gluten in there! The texture should be like bread dough, but a little stickier. Add more flour if necessary. Add the dough to a clean bowl and place a towel over it.
- Let rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make the cinnamon paste. Cut the butter in small pieces and mix them together with the other ingredients. Use your hands to kneed it to a paste that is spreadable.
- Preheat the oven to 430ºF.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper or a reusable mat. Take the dough out of the bowl and slam it a few times. Flatten out the dough to make a square and add a thick layer of cinnamon paste. Fold the dough in half. Cut 12 pieces sideways. Take one of the pieces and cut a horizontal line in the middle but leave about a centimeter. Twists these two parts and fold them together into a knot. Repeat with the other 11 pieces and add them to the baking tray. They will grow, so give them a little room (look at the pictures below for some visual guidance).
- Place them in the oven for 15-17 minutes and enjoy (the sugar get's really hot, so don't eat them straight away).