These bars are simply a combination of the most amazingly soft and delicious cookie base and a classic cinnamon apple filling like what you fill a pie with. Of course, you've got to drizzle them with something extra like this amazing icing! Take advantage of apple season by making these soft, sweet, delicious cookie bars full of all the sugar and spice goodness!
Cinnamon Apple Graham Cracker Crumb Bars [Vegan]
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced into small cubes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon≠≠
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cookie Bar Dough:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond butter or cashew butter
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup graham cracker or vanilla cookie crumbs, finely ground *see note
- 2 teaspoons almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper. Add the water to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add your apples. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, often stirring until the apples get soft and darken.
- Combine the salt, sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch in a small bowl, mix and then add to the pan. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes longer, constantly stirring, until the sugar starts to melt and caramelize.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside until needed.
Cookie Bar Dough:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat coconut oil, nut butter, almond milk, and brown sugar together until creamed. Add baking powder, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon and beat until mixed. Add the flour and graham crumbs and beat until well combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread about 1/2 of the dough in the baking dish and bake for about 8 - 10 minutes until the top starts browning a little. Remove from oven and scrape out your pan of apple mixture over the dough.
- Spread to even out, then crumble the remaining 1/2 of the dough over the top and return to the oven for 15 to 17 minutes until the top starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting.
- Whisk the milk, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Add the powdered sugar and stir gently until you have a smooth icing.
- Use a fork or fine-tipped pastry bag to drizzle over the bars after you cut them.
You can replace the crumbs in this recipe with several lightly sweet cookies or crackers from the store.