These little tarts are the perfect after dinner treat, mid afternoon snack and make a stunning treat for a dinner party with friends. The best thing is they taste rich and creamy but are secretly healthy!
Chocolate Tarts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 1/2 cup oats (gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil (no need to melt)
- 3 tablespoons water
For the Filling:
- 2 small-medium avocado
- 3 tablespoons cacao
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 scoop plant based protein
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream (the fat from a can of coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 pomegranate, deseeded
- Prepare crust by adding almonds, oats and cacao to a food processor. Blend on high until it forms a fine crumb. Add in dates, salt, coconut oil and blend. The mixture should start to form a dough, but if it's too dry add in the water a tbsp at a time until it sticks together.
- Lightly grease tart tins with a little coconut oil. Press crust into tins and set aside in the fridge.
- Empty out food processor and add in all filling ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and glossy.
- Spoon dollops of filling into each crust and top with chopped chocolate and pomegranate. These keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To make sure your can of coconut milk has coconut cream in it, shake the can before purchasing it. If you can't hear much water in there, you know you got a good one! You can also pop it in the fridge overnight to aid with the separation process. In the morning, the fat will have risen to the top. Save the water to use in smoothies and oatmeal.