Chocolate and tahini seem to really complement each other, resulting in a deep, rich, complex flavor. These gems are not too sweet, and so pillowy soft, it’s like eating a cloud. Heaven in every bite.
Chocolate Tahini Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-free]
- 1 cup tightly packed, blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (or sub vanilla extract in the wet ingredients)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flax meal and water together and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a food processor.
- Gently all wet ingredients together, including the flax egg.
- With the food processor running on low, add the wet ingredients to the dry in a steady stream.
- The mixture should come together quite quickly, resulting in a sticky dough. Let it rest a few minutes to give the cocoa powder time to absorb some of the liquid.
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie.
- Press each dough ball down slightly and then top with a bit of sesame seeds, patting them down slightly into the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool COMPLETELY before handling. They are fragile when hot.