This chocolate silk pie is absolutely divine. Silken tofu gives this dessert a light airy texture and a lovely, velvety smoothness. The creamy chocolate has a bit of cayenne pepper and almond milk is topped with a semisweet chocolate ganache and sits atop a crunchy graham cracker crust. Yum!
Chocolate Silk Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup graham crackers crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-2 1/2 tablespoons almond milk
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 6.5 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups freshly brewed espresso
- 12-ounce package extra-firm silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Ganache:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Line bottom of a pan with parchment paper. Wrap 3 layers of aluminum foil around the bottom outside of the pan, bringing foil to top of rim.
To Make the Crust:
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon. Add the almond milk and mix until it has a grainy texture, like wet sand. Press the crust firmly and evenly into the bottom of the spring-form pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until firm and golden brown. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
For the Filling:
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Whisk sugar and coffee and cool slightly.
- In a food processor, pulse the tofu with the cornstarch, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt. Add the chocolate mixture and pulse until well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Place springform pan in a large roasting pan. Add enough water to the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center no longer moves when the pan is gently shaken. Remove from water bath and transfer to a rack. Cool completely in the pan.
To Make the Ganache:
- In a medium saucepan, bring the almond milk to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of cake, still in the pan. Gently shake pan to distribute ganache evenly over top of cake. Refrigerate cake in the pan until ganache is set, about 2 hours.
- Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Serve.