Chocolate, orange, and ginger. Three great flavors that make one awesome cake. This gluten-free and vegan chocolate cake is made from oat flour and cacao with fresh ginger, orange juice, and zest folded into the batter for a dessert that's sweet, citrus-y, and a little spicy. It's layered with a creamy, orange-infused cashew frosting and then topped off with chewy raw date and walnut bites.
Chocolate, Orange, and Ginger Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 4 cups gluten-free oat flour (see notes)
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Zest and juice from 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Cashew Frosting:
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
For the Date Stars:
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 355°F. Grease and line two 8-inch deep circular cake tins greaseproof paper.
- Mix the ground flax seeds together with 9 tablespoons of water then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Using a large mixing bowl, pour the oat flour, ground ginger, cacao powder, coconut sugar, and baking powder and mix together.
- Pour in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, orange juice, and zest and add in the flax eggs.
- Divide the batter between the cake tins and smooth out evenly. Bake for 20 minutes, pierce to check if it is baked through – leave it to cool for approximately 20 minutes.
To Make the Frosting:
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the cashew frosting. Drain the water from the raw cashews. Place the cashew nuts into a powerful blender, add the maple syrup, lemon juice, and orange juice and blend until you achieve a thick and creamy frosting.
To Make the Date Stars:
- Place the ingredients into a powerful blender or food processor and blend until the ingredients are sticky. Roll out until thin and cut out shapes or roll into bliss balls to use as decoration.
- Begin assembling the cake by spreading some of the cashew frosting on the top of one cake, then place the other on top. Cover the top layer of the cake with extra frosting. Add date stars/balls and any other decoration, such as candied ginger, chocolate-covered ginger, etc...
You can make your own oat flour by grinding rolled oats into a flour in a blender. Made in collaboration with Pamela Higgins of Spamellab.