Vegan chocolate mousse with aquafaba is light, fluffy, and decadent. This easy chocolate mousse recipe is made without eggs and dairy and is a swoon-worthy vegan dessert for any occasion. Serve it with a dollop of coconut whipped cream for an extra luscious treat.
Chocolate Mousse with Aquafaba [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons oat milk, or any non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (the liquid from a 15-ounce can of chickpeas)
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or any granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut whipped cream (optional)
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the dark chocolate and milk. Microwave for 60 seconds, remove and stir. You will likely be able to get all the chocolate to finish melting just by stirring it. If lumps remain, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Set aside to cool. The chocolate should be close to room temperature when you add it to the aquafaba meringue.
- Add the aquafaba and cream of tarter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Alternatively, you can use a large bowl and hand mixer. Mix on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes (6-8 minutes with a handheld mixer) until stiff peaks form. You’ll know when you’ve achieved stiff peaks when you pull some of the aquafaba up and it does not fall over but stays upright.
- Very slowly add the sugar to the aquafaba and whip for another 2-3 minutes (4-5 minutes with a handheld mixer).
- Once the chocolate has cooled, add a large dollop of the meringue to the chocolate and lightly stir to combine. This will lighten the chocolate and make it easier to mix into the rest of the meringue.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the remaining meringue and very lightly fold together to combine.
- Scoop into serving glasses and chill at least 2 hours.
- Serve topped with coconut whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile