I used a ready-mixed gluten-free flour, which worked really well for me. Gluten-free batter doesn’t act like normal batter, though, so you should expect this one to be somewhat less flexible and liquid — not quite as “pourable”, I mean. So when you “pour” the batter into the cake tin, you will have to spread it out with a spatula to make sure it reaches all corners and sides of the tin. The cake is also slightly drier than my regular marbled cake recipe, which I actually don’t mind as I can spread a little almond butter on top without the slice crumbling on my plate. If you don’t like the texture to be quite so dry, just bake 5 minutes less.
Chocolate Chai Marbled Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 + 2/3 cup gluten-free flour mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups of sugar, or less
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp water
- 1 + 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line or grease a loaf tin.
- In a small bowl combine the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the sugar, coconut oil, vanilla paste, soy milk and flaxseed mixture. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Pour half of the batter into another bowl. Fold in the cocoa powder and spices.
- Pour half of the vanilla batter into the loaf tin, spreading it out evenly with a spatula. Pour half of the chocolate chai batter, smoothing it out over the vanilla batter as best as you can. Repeat with the remainder of the vanilla and chocolate chai batters.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, at which point the top should crack open like the top of a volcano and a skewer should come out clean. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Make sure the soy milk is at room temperature, otherwise it will harden the coconut oil when they come into contact. (Coconut oil is only liquid at room temp or when warmed.)