This decadent four-layer cake is a must-make for any fan of peanut butter and chocolate. It starts with four dark, chocolatey, coffee-infused cakes that are coated in a rich, peanut butter buttercream frosting. With such amazing flavors, this cake knows no limits — it'll be a hit any time of year.
Chocolate Cake With Peanut Butter Frosting [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons coffee or tea mixed with almond milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
For the Cake:
- You will need two six-inch pans.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, sugar, and baking soda).
- In another smaller bowl, mix the liquids (coffee or tea with non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, and oil).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Prepare the cake pans with baking paper on the bottom and grease the sides with vegan butter.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Check often, as cook time may vary based on oven and cake pan sizes.
- When done, remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 3-4 hours.
- When they are cool, cut each cake into two equal parts, so you have four even-sized cakes.
To Make the Frosting:
- In a bowl, mix the vegan butter and peanut butter with an electric whisk until combined. Sift in confectioners' sugar.
- Once you added all the sugar, mix well until incorporated. Add non-dairy milk as needed to get the texture you want.
- Frost the base of the cake, then follow up with the next layer, more frosting, then another layer of cake, until all cake layers are stacked.
- Using a rubber spatula, frost the sides of the cake. Put in the freezer for 30-40 minutes to solidify.