There is something undefinably delicious about a salty, thick-cut home fry; it's almost an unbeatable. However, these thick-cut home fries are topped with a meaty mushroom chili that's astoundingly easy to make and then finished with a creamy sweet potato cheese sauce that makes these chili cheese fries the best thing we've tasted in a while. So we've got a definite winner in this recipe.
Chili Cheez Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Potatoes:
For the Chili:
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1/2 large can of crushed tomatoes
- Chili powder
- Onions, to taste
- Garlic, to taste
- Cumin powder, to taste
For the Cheese Sauce:
- Sweet potatoes
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Nutritional flakes, to taste
- 1/2 lime
To Make the Potatoes:
- Slice the potatoes into fry shapes and bake them at 400°F. If they are cut thick, it will take about an hour, if they are more delicate, it will take less time.
To Make the Chili:
- Pulse the mushrooms in a food processor (or hand chop) until they’re broken up.
- Add the mushrooms to a skillet with 1/2 can of crushed tomatoes and all of the spices.
- Let this simmer or soft boil for 15 minutes or so. If your chili is watery, cook off the moisture with higher heat.
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Peel, chop, and boil sweet potatoes. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked and slightly cooled, add them to the blender.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients and just enough water to blend everything smooth.
- Pour the chili over the potatoes as soon as they get out of the oven then top it with the cheese sauce.