Chickpea flour is something of a miracle ingredient in that, in addition to being an excellent gluten-free and grain-free substitute in all kinds of baked goods, it also works in lieu of eggs in quiches, scramble, and baked egg dishes such as this frittata. The proportions of chickpea flour, water and oil for this frittata in this recipe create an incredibly creamy result that still sets up perfectly.
Chickpea Flour Frittata With Sweet Potatoes and Kale [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 cups peeled, chopped small (or grated) sweet potato
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, chickpea flour, paprika, salt, and garlic powder. Let stand while preparing filling.
- In a 9-inch cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato and onion. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes until vegetables are softened. Reduce het to medium and add the kale; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Remove skillet from heat and pour in the chickpea flour batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes until set at the center and edges are beginning to brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve warm. room temperature or chilled
- Chickpea Flour