The sweetness of the pumpkin goes great with spicy foods and vibrant dishes, like curries. Pumpkin is a great source of fiber and also has fewer carbs than potatoes, which are traditionally used for this dish. Recipe Credit: Elizabeth Blau Photo Credit: Bill Milne
Chickpea and Pumpkin Curry [Vegan]
- 1 whole medium sugar pie pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 oz. cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into 1.5-inch florets
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into julienne
- 1/2 yellow onion, 1/2-inch diced
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 2 cans coconut milk (32 oz.)
- 16 oz. white wine5-inch piece of fresh lemongrass, bruise by crushing with pestle to release flavor
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vadouvan curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- Cut the pumpkin into quarters and season with vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast at 350F for 10 minutes, then cool down.
- Remove skin and seeds and cut into 1” dice.
- In a medium-sized pot, sweat onions, lemongrass, ginger and carrots for 4 minutes without color.
- Add curry powder and turmeric and toast for 1 minute.
- Deglaze with white wine and add tahini.
- Add diced pumpkin, chickpeas and peppers and top with coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil and simmer slowly for 15 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve in a bowl. Garnish with fresh cilantro.