Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish made of fried soft tortillas served with a myriad of delicious toppings. These “cheezy” vegan chilaquiles are a one skillet twist on the classic Mexican comfort food, and they're extremely filling, savory, and full of flavor. Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients – this is really easy to make!
‘Cheezy’ Chilaquiles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for ‘Cheezy’ Chilaquiles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 14 ounces firm or extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 cups picante sauce (see below)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 24 regular-size corn tortillas
- 1 medium onion, any kind, chopped
- Cilantro leaves to garnish
- 2 14.5-ounce cans no salt added tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves (some stems are fine too)
- 1/2-1 poblano pepper, seeded and roughly chopped (half of a pepper makes a fairly mild picante)
- Juice from 3 limes (roughly 6 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, to taste
- A few drops Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
How to Prepare ‘Cheezy’ Chilaquiles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Combine all the picante ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and crumble in the tofu. Add the salt and garlic and stir or mash everything together, then set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Tear the tortillas into bite sized pieces and toss them in the oil. Stir until all the pieces are evenly coated with oil, then add the onion. Cook and stir for 7-8 minutes, or until the tortillas are lightly browned. Add the tofu mixture and cook and stir five minutes.
- Reduce the heat slightly, cover and let steam for 3-4 minutes. Top with fresh cilantro to serve.
Adapted from "Tofu Cookery" by Louise Hagler.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.