Mmmm, mac and cheese! This seasonal version is made with pumpkin puree for a boost of nutrition and a rich, orange color that makes you think of autumn leaves and decking yourself out in scarves and sweaters.
Cheesy Seasonal Pumpkin Mac [Vegan]
- 7.05 ounces whole-wheat macaroni
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, sauté onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, add the smoked paprika, dried sage and turmeric. Stir and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree and vegetable stock. Bring to a low boil. Cook for three minutes. Stir in the milk. Transfer to a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. You can add more milk if the consistency is too thick. Add the nutritional yeast. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- Drain the pasta. Return to the same pot where you boiled it, and pour the pumpkin sauce over your cooked macaroni. Toss to coat and serve immediately. You can sprinkle with smoked paprika.