This "cheesy" quesadilla recipe will solve all your vegan quesadilla-making troubles. The sauce doesn’t only help with keeping the quesadillas together, it makes them taste creamy and cheesy as well. This meal comes together in very little time.
Cheesy Cashew Quesadillas [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced in half circles
- 1 bell pepper (red or yellow), sliced into strips
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise then sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 large wraps (gluten-free or grain-free if necessary)
- 1 recipe of vegan cashew cheese sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot add onion and pepper, sauté for 5 minutes; then add zucchini, mushrooms, spices, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Alternatively, mix all the same vegetable ingredients in a bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place the vegetables on the sheet, and bake in the oven at 400°F for 10 - 15 minutes (until the peppers are soft), stirring halfway through.
- To assemble quesadillas, spread 2 - 3 tablespoons of cashew sauce over one side of the wrap. Place 1/4 of vegetable mixture over 1/2 of the wrap. Fold the half with no veggies over the other half. Repeat with the remaining wraps.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large pan. Place 1 - 2 quesadillas in the pan (you might be able to fit 2 if your pan is large enough). Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, or until slightly browned on the bottom. Gently flip the quesadillas and cook the other side for another 2 - 3 minutes.