Think you need potatoes to make perfect tots? These tots are made by combining black-eyed peas and broccoli, plus nutritional yeast to give it that cheesy flavor. They're baked, not fried, but they turn out with that perfect texture — crisp on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. Served with cashew ranch dip, these tots are perfect for any occasion.
Cheesy Broccoli Tots With Ranch Dipping Sauce [Vegan]
For the Tots:
- 1 1/4 cups black-eyed peas
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal, plus 3 tablespoons water)
For the Ranch Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup almond or soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop broccoli and steam by either placing it in a covered saucepan over low heat with 2 inches of water or in a bamboo steamer.
- Drain and rinse black-eyed peas.
- In a food processor, process black-eyed peas, broccoli, salt, nutritional yeast, and flax egg.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or coating with non-stick spray.
- With a spoon, scoop a small amount of broccoli "dough" and form into a traditional tater-tot shape. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining broccoli mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the tots are baking, prepare the ranch dipping sauce by blending all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Thin with additional milk (1 tablespoon at a time), if you prefer.
- Remove tots from oven and serve warm with dipping sauce.