This decadent carrot cake is simple, easy, and quick. The carrots add an amazing natural sweetness and make the mix perfectly fudge-y while the velvety cashew cream provides the perfect finish. Top it off with some toasted nuts and flower petals and it becomes the perfect afternoon treat.
Carrot Cake Squares With Coconut Cashew Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Carrot Cake:
- 1 cup of lightly packed grated carrot
- 1 1/2 cups of wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup of dates (soak in a small amount hot water for 10 minutes)
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups of cashew nuts, soaked in water for 4 hours or overnight
- 1 tablespoon of malt syrup or maple syrup
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- The juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons of coconut cream (from a refrigerated can of coconut milk)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F then blend the soaked dates into a paste and set them aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix them well.
- Add all the remaining ingredients for the cake (including the date paste) and mix it thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture into a greased baking tin and bake it for 30-35 minutes.
- While the carrot cake is baking, make the frosting. In a food processor blend together all the ingredients until they're smooth.
- Once the cake is cooked, let it cool before covering it in the frosting.
- Finally, scatter some chopped nuts on top before serving.