Sometimes you need something easy to make that’s good enough for company. These beans have a hint of sweetness from the mango with a layer of spiciness underneath. You can halve this recipe if you aren’t serving a crowd, or you can freeze the leftovers for another night. Serve over rice, in a burrito, or by themselves as a side.
Caribbean Mango Black Beans [Vegan, Soy-Free, Gluten Free]
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 mangoes
- 4 cans (15 ounces, or 420 g each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- 3 tablespoons (24 g) grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon ground hot pepper (to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
The Night Before:
- Mince the garlic. Cut along both sides of the mango pit to remove 2 cheeks. Using your knife, cut lengthwise into the mango just to the skin. Do the same across widthwise, so that you have a checkerboard. Take the piece in hand and open the crisscross section so it bows out. Now take your knife and run it under the flesh. The fruit will easily fall off into chunks. Repeat with the remaining mango cheek.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
To Prep the Dish:
- Oil the crock of your slow cooker and add all the ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Taste and adjust the seasonings.