This sweet potato pasta is a great way to enjoy a plate of creamy pasta, just without the dairy and cheese!
Cajun Sweet Potato Rigatoni with Kale [Vegan]
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 (13-ounce) can coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, homemade (page 43) or store-bought, plus more for topping if desired
- 1 1/2 cups Simple Sweet Potato Puree (page 56)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Pinch of finely ground sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 2 cups de-stemmed and chopped kale
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking, begin preparing the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the garlic and cinnamon and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the garlic begins to become fragrant. Reduce the heat to medium and add the flour to the skillet, whisking until well combined and a paste forms.
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable stock, stirring constantly until a thick sauce begins to form. Repeat this step with the coconut cream, then stir in the Cajun seasoning, sweet potato puree, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and wine. Add the kale and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender.
- Drain the pasta, then add it to the sauce. Stir to fully coat the pasta. Remove from the heat and serve immediately in bowls topped with additional Cajun seasoning, if desired.