In this recipe, the butternut squash takes on the role of chickpeas in a traditional hummus. The toasted squash gives the hummus a deeper flavor and vibrant color!
Butternut Squash Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons runny tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- optional: 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- optional: 1 tablespoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into small, roughly 1-inch pieces.
- Combine with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and add to the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 25 minutes, tossing several times to ensure even roasting.
- Once squash is finished, let cool for 5 minutes and add to food processor along with other ingredients aside from optional ones. Adjust seasoning if you want more salt.
- Serve warm or cold with carrot slices or vegetables of your choice.