This nourishing vegan bolognese is a rendition of the Italian classic. Using lentils in place of beef and butternut for the noodles, this version is definitely more energizing while remaining just as tasty! Sprinkle this dish with some fresh herbs right before serving to add some earthy flavor.
Butternut Pasta With Lentil Bolognese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 of 1 butternut stem, peeled and spiralized into noodles
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 12-ounce bottle tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed coconut oil
- Clean, rinse, peel, and prep all your vegetables.
- Sautée the onion, carrots, and sweet potato in the coconut oil on a medium heat until soft. This is roughly 5-8 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and zucchini and sautée for a further 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomato pasta sauce to the pan, stirring occasionally to allow the sweet potato to reduce into the sauce.
- In the blender, add the cashew nuts, nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt, and 1/2 cup water and blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary to reach a creamy consistency.
- Bring a pot of water the boil and add the butternut noodles. Cook until soft or "al dente."
- Add the lentils and cashew sauce to the pan and allow to simmer for a few minutes while the noodles cook.
- When the noodles are done, rinse, and plate them.
- Serve with a few sprinkles of dried mixed herbs.