Chilly weather is the ideal time for spicy comfort foods, like this chili. It has soft winter squash, hearty lentils, and lots of other veggies. The result is thick, spicy, slightly sweet, and slightly nutty chili.
Buttercup Squash and Lentil Curry [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Buttercup Squash and Lentil Curry [Vegan]
- 1 medium buttercup squash, skin removed, chopped in 2 inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce pinto beans
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Buttercup Squash and Lentil Curry [Vegan]
- Fill a 6-quart pot with water and bring to a boil. Prep your squash.
- Add cubed squash to the boiling water and cook for 20-30 minutes, until soft. Meanwhile, prepare remaining ingredients.
- Drain the squash and transfer to a bowl. Mash well with a fork or potato masher.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of water to the same 6-quart pot. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened and onion is translucent.
- Add kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, water, lentils, spices, and mashed squash. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.