A little smoky and a little sweet, this buckwheat bowl is so comforting and warm on chilly mornings without being heavy. It’s a little like eating a silky risotto... but for breakfast!
Buckwheat Breakfast Bowl [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 heaping cup baby spinach, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper
- Seeded toast to serve
- Soak the buckwheat groats in the water and apple cider vinegar overnight or for at least 3 hours. After soaking, strain and rinse before setting aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the red onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the sweet and smoked paprika, cumin and mustard powder followed by the buckwheat groats. Stir well to coat the groats in the oil and spices, then add the passata and vegetable stock.
- Bring the stock up to a quick boil before reducing the heat to a simmer and cooking for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the buckwheat is tender and the dish resembles a loose risotto.
- Stir in the baby spinach and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with seeded toast.