If you love pesto on your pasta, you'll love this delicious pâté. Traditional pâté is made from animal fat and while most vegan versions rely on mushrooms to recreate the texture, this recipe uses broccoli purée and nuts. It's nutty, creamy, and herby — perfect for serving with quinoa crackers or on toast.
Broccoli Pâté With Quinoa Crackers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pâté:
- 1 fresh head of broccoli
- 2 3/4 tablespoons cashews
- 4 nuts of any kind
- 1 basil leaves
- A handful of celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers small
- A pinch of garlic
- Scant 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
For the Quinoa Crackers:
- 1/2 cup, plus 3 tablespoons quinoa
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Salt, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Soak the cashews for about 3 hours, then drain them and keep them aside.
- Soak the quinoa for 3-4 hours, changing the water a couple of times. Repeatedly rinse and dry toast in a skillet, then cook in a volume of water equal to twice the amount of quinoa for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed. Transfer to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend for a few seconds to break a bit. This will allow the dough to get together more easily. Preheat over to 355°F.
- In a bowl, stir the mixture of quinoa with sesame seeds, then place it on a sheet of lightly oiled parchment paper. Divide the dough in two. With hands greased with oil, press it onto the pan as thin ias possible. Salt surface of the dough. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and break it along the cracks that form during cooking, and put back in the oven to brown in the oven for about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough
- Wash the broccoli and cut into florets. Blanch for a minute and a half in boiling water. Drain (reserving a cup of water) and cool in ice water.
- In a mixer, purée the broccoli with a little bit of cooking water. Add the cashews, walnuts, parsley, basil, capers, garlic, basil leaves, and salt and run the mixer, adding oil as needed until creamy and smooth (if necessary add a few more tablespoons of cooking water).
- Drizzle with oil and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.