This is a vibrant, delicious and highly nutritious combination of broccoli, spinach, lemon, ginger, and coconut milk that will warm you and nourish you through the cooler winter months or just anytime you need to warm up inside.
Broccoli and Coconut Soup [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1/2 brown onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt or herb salt
- 1-inch piece of ginger grated
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis chopped
- 1/2 cup of spinach, torn roughly
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 1/2 a teaspoon of fresh turmeric
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Chili flakes, coriander, and almond flakes to garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan and allow to melt. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the broccoli and zucchini and then add the turmeric and chili and make sure the vegetables are coated nicely with the spices.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a gentle boil. As soon as it begins to boil, turn the heat down and add the coconut milk. Cook just until the coconut milk has warmed, the vegetables should be cooked but still a vibrant green colour, you don’t want to overcook them!
- Add the spinach and lemon juice and allow the spinach to wilt slightly.
- Remove from the heat and blend, either in small batches in a blender or with a hand held immersion blender.
- When the soup is smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls and top with fresh coriander leaves, chili flakes and slivered almonds.