Fall is a time when even the side dishes are rich and comforting. In this dish, red cabbage is cooked in apple cider and balsamic vinegar, and red wine with a touch of coconut sugar for added sweetness. Those notes of sweetness are rounded out by tart Granny Smith apples and toasted pecans for savoriness and crunch. This would be amazing served with a hearty veggie roast.
Braised Red Cabbage With Apples and Pecans [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced or any other variety
- 1 head red cabbage (2 1/4 pounds), halved, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 larger Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- In a large skillet that has a cover, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add apples and onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add shredded cabbage and continue to saute for about 5 more minutes, stirring often. Add the coconut sugar, balsamic, apple cider vinegar, and water.
- Reduce heat to low (very low, like a 1-2 on the dial) and cover. Continue to cook, stirring every 10-15 minutes or so, until softened. Resist the urge to turn up the heat to shorten the cooking time. The mixture will burn to the bottom of the pot easily if you do so.
- Start checking for doneness around 45 minutes but it may take up to an hour. Top with toasted pecans and serve.