This is comfort food at its best. In this recipe, whole cauliflower is braised until tender in a mixture of tomatoes, chickpeas, and kale. This one-pot meal is light on seasoning, yet it is savory, a little cheesy, and satisfying. This meal is an ideal date-night dinner, especially when followed up with a refreshing dessert.
Braised Cauliflower With Chickpeas, Tomato, and Kale [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 large whole cauliflower, stem and leaves removed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomato
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5-6 lacinato kale leaves, ribs removed and chopped, or substitute with regular kale
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven on stovetop over medium-high heat. Add whole cauliflower and sear the outside until brown, rotating throughout, for about 10 minutes. Remove cauliflower from pot and set aside on cutting board or plate.
- Add tomato, chickpeas, kale, nutritional yeast, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper to the Dutch oven and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add cauliflower back to Dutch oven and spoon some of the tomato mixture on top to coat.
- Place covered Dutch oven in oven and bake until tender (a wooden skewer should go through easily), about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing.
- Cut cauliflower into slices, spoon tomato mixture on top, and serve.