These vegan hard boiled eggs are better than the real thing. The recipe uses agar agar to give the "eggs" a gelatinous consistency and black salt to give the faux eggs an eggy taste. These "eggs" go great on a salad, or spread across toast.
Boiled ‘Egg’ [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the "Egg" White:
- 2 12-ounce packs silken tofu
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons agar agar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black salt
For the "Egg" Yolk:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons polenta
- 2 ounces silken tofu
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Put aside 2 ounces of silken tofu. You will need this for the egg yolk later.
- Put all vegan egg white ingredients into a blender and blend for at least 1 minute (this is important to make sure the agar agar granules are dissolved).
- Pour the vegan egg white mixture into a pan and heat it up on medium to high heat for 5 minutes. Make sure you stir it all the time so it doesn't burn.
- Pour into egg-shaped silicon molds and put them into the fridge and let them cool down for at least 20 minutes for it to set.
- Melt 1/3 of butter and put into the blender together with all other vegan egg yolk ingredients.
- Blend them together for 1 minute.
- Repeat the same process as above: pour the vegan egg yolk mixture into a pan and heat up on medium to high heat for 5 minutes. Make sure you stir it all the time so it doesn't burn. Let cool down for a few minutes.
- Check if the vegan egg whites have set. Take them out of the fridge and carve a hole in each of them. Don't discard the spoonfuls of egg white, you can actually use them as a tasty bread spread later! Fill the holes you just carved out with the vegan egg yolk mixture.